The Research Process
"Systematic investigation or inquiry aimed at contributing to knowledge of a theory, topic, etc., by careful consideration, observation, or study of a subject." The OED
* A step-by-step process focused by a guiding question.
* A detailed inquiry process for collecting & interpreting data, perspectives & evidence, then developing an argument to address that question;
* A reflective process where you reach your own conclusions;
* A reiterative process that progressively refines your investigation:
ponder - search - analyze
review - reevaluate - research
repeat as needed
Research is not:
* Submitting a "report" simply restating the historical record;
* Rewording other people's opinions (plagiarism);
* Limiting your sources to basic Google searches and Wikepedia.
“We cannot indefinitely avoid depressing subject matter, particularly it it is true, and in the subsequent quarter century the world has had to hear a story it would have preferred not to hear - the story of how a cultured people turned to genocide, and how the rest of the world, also composed of cultured people, remained silent in the face of genocide."
-Elie Wiesel, Night